Thursday, August 20, 2009

Animations/Video

When I was enrolled in Art in grade 11 in 1981, my teacher was a very creative soul and encouraged us to go above and beyond our imaginations. We were required to create a short film using various methods of animation - 2D and 3D. There needed to be a beginning, a complication and an ending. The film needed to start with 2D and progress to 3D, sound was later added.

The story began about a worm that fell from a tree onto the ground, and after landing the worm needed cross a path, at which time a large stone came rolling down that path and ran the worm over, he did not survive. Remember that I was 15 at the time and only at the beginning of my creativity. Much much patience is needed when working and handling 3D animation. I am not much of a patient person when it comes to fiddly workings because I have to get it perfect and need the process to go quickly. I honestly thought that I would never have any use for this type of activity or subject again in my life, until now.

As a Learning Manager it is quite obvious to me the importance of animation within the classroom setting. Animation is an instant winner with children and most are eager to engage themselves in relating activities. It can also be used cross curricular because as individuals with diverse learning styles and personality types, using animation to gain understanding and further refine and extend their knowledge. My only argument would be that it would be difficult in a Lower Primary setting although not unachievable. Therefore I could see great benefit in this type of technology in an Upper Primary setting.


Kearsley, G. & Shneiderman, B. (1999). A framework for technology-based teaching and learning. [electronic version] Retrieved August 12, 2009 from http://home.sprynet.com/~gkearsley/engage.htm
Marzano, R. & Pickering, D. (1997). Dimensions of learning: Teacher's manual. McRei.

No comments:

Post a Comment